The definitions between an Empath and a highly sensitive person (HSP) are so similar that some may question as to which camp they fall in. Hopefully, after reading this you may have a better idea.
Here are some of the type of questions Elaine N. Aron uses in her book, ‘The Highly Sensitive Person’, to decide a HSP:
(The stronger you relate to the questions is an indication of your Sensitivity.)
- Are you aware of subtleties in your environment?
- Do other people’s moods affect you?
- Are you sensitive to pain?
- Do you need to withdraw if you are having a busy day?
- Are you sensitive to the effects of caffeine?
- Are you easily overwhelmed by strong smells, bright lights or loud noises?
- Do you have a rich and complex inner life?
- Are you conscientious?
- Do you startle easily?
- Are you aware how to make others feel more comfortable?
- Do you get frustrated if you are made to do too many things at once?
- Do you avoid watching violence on TV or in films?
- Do you become uncomfortable when a lot is going on around you?
- Do you avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations?