Every Empath experiences it and it is one of the most challenging aspects of being Sensitive. The overwhelm we endure, from taking on too much emotional energy, can at times be unbearable.
When someone has hurt us, by their words or actions, or if we receive negative thoughts directed towards us, it can throw us completely off-balance and send us nose-diving into overload. And that is not to mention what we suffer from being in the firing line of another’s low mood.
Emotional overload affects us all differently; some much worse than others. It can cause extreme distress and misery; the effects of which trigger thoughts that keep us awake at night and emotions that darken our moods for hours, days or weeks.
The following is a small extract taken from the Tools section of my new book, on ways to quickly stop Empath overwhelm in its tracks:
‘As you are now aware, after reading the ‘7 Secrets of the Sensitive’, the way to prevent and control engulfing energy of low vibrational people and emotional overload, is by attaining balance of the mind, body and spirit. But as you also know, for some, the transformation is not an overnight process.
So, until you start on the program and are seeing the amazing results, I have some easy techniques for you to use when having a flare-up.
These techniques work quickly to put a stop to Empath emotional overwhelm
1. Eat a small amount of chocolate: I say small amount because large amounts have the opposite effect (I discovered this the delicious way, by devouring too much).
Chocolate can transform and uplift your mood in an instant. Containing compounds which promote happiness, chocolate is the go-to food when you have been emotionally or energetically triggered.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, produced by eating chocolate, known as the happy hormone. This hormone not only activates our bliss centers but it also helps us refrain from dipping into dark thoughts.
In my opinion, milk chocolate tends to work better than dark (as dark chocolate has a higher amount of caffeine). But the type you choose is something you can experiment with yourself. Most chocolate contains refined sugar which is a big cause of depression, not just in Empaths but all humans. So keep chocolate just for the times when you’ve been hit by emotional overload.
Eat between 2 to 4 small squares of chocolate, washed down with a pint of cool water. The water speeds up the healing and re-balancing process. (See Secret 7 for more information on how water helps the Empath).
2. Temple hold: Place two to three fingers on either side of the temples (between the eyebrows and hairline) and hold for as long as needed.
This simple technique helps break the repetitive thoughts that are triggered from emotional pain and overwhelm. It also works to block the dense feelings they cause.
I’m not sure why this method works but it does. (I suspect it is because it activates acupressure points and soothes the parts of the brain responsible for emotions.) It makes you feel safe and contains any excess ‘head energy’.
Great to do at bedtime, when emotional overwhelm turns into rampant thoughts that keep us awake. Taking some calming, conscious breaths at the same time further helps.
3. Short burst of high intensity exercise: A mini power-walk or run, dynamic yoga moves, dance routines or skipping etc. helps burn off raging or uncomfortable emotions. I’m talking very doable bursts of exercise that last between 1 to 5 minutes.
Performing short bursts of high intensity exercise releases endorphins into the body which block the pain transmission signals and produce euphoric feelings that calm the entire system.
A great exercise I use, when I have been emotionally fired-up, is the plank. Most will have heard of the plank; it is a challenging yoga move that activates all the muscles in the body. Maintaining it for just 30 seconds is often all it takes to blast out any negative energy.
There is a variation of the plank to do whatever your fitness level, from beginners and beyond. You will find plenty of excellent instructional videos on YouTube to get you started.
Whatever exercise you choose, as your mini blast, make sure to do something that makes you feel uncomfortable and your muscles burn. (The saying ‘fight fire with fire’ springs to mind here).
See Secret 7 for more on the transformative power of specific exercises and the healing hormones they release.
4. Singing: This may not be something you want to do when feeling low, but it is excellent for lifting your moods. Singing raises your vibration and stops emotional overwhelm in its tracks. Anyone can sing, hum or chant, even whistling works. Just make sure the song you chose is uplifting and not one that stokes up painful emotional memories. Try it and see.
5. Avoid caffeine: Being a stimulant, caffeine will heighten any emotional overwhelm you are experiencing. We don’t always realize that it worsens the emotions we hold, because it only kicks in 30 to 40 minutes after consumption. It can make us anxious and jittery and anything we feel negatively inside is amplified. Not having caffeine will not always prevent emotional overload but it significantly reduces the symptoms and the way and the way it affects us.
So there you go, quick, simple techniques that work to reduce the Empath’s angst! For more similar techniques see 10 Ways to Protect Yourself.
7 Secrets of the Sensitive is released on 26th May 2016.
Have a lovely weekend…
Until next time
Donations can be made here. Thank You for your kind support.
©Diane Kathrine at Empaths Empowered
Never Miss A Post! Join Thousands of Others on This Amazing Journey of Transformation!
Click The Follow Button On Right Side-Bar Above⇑