I think you will probably all agree that, for the Empath, there certainly seems to be never ending hurdles to overcome when it comes to wellbeing.
Like many of you lovely Empaths out there, I consider myself to be somewhat introverted. And living in this extrovert world can often make me feel like I’m a large square peg being pushed into a small round hole.
And as is typical of an introvert, the thought of going out in busy peopled places or having to attend bustling social events sometimes ignites a bout of ‘social dread’ for me.
So, when I recently came across a condition that causes unnecessary social anxiety and excessive introversion, it immediately caught my attention.
The condition is called Pyroluria. and is caused by a lack of vitamin B6 and the mineral zinc.
Vitamin B6 and zinc are stripped from the body when under a lot of stress. As most Empaths suffer with high levels of emotional stress, they have to consider their nutrient levels may be low.
Empaths often have to work hard to heal their mind, body and spirit and what works for one will not always work for another. Because they carry not only their own stress, but the stress of others too, they have to work harder to stay physically and mentally balanced.
From my research, and self-trials, I have found when it comes to an Empath’s mental and emotional stability, we are not only affected by stress but by what we do and don’t eat.
Right and wrong foods can affect your emotional energy, and the way you interpret the emotions of others, more than you could imagine.
Eating a food that does not agree with your bio-chemistry has a detrimental knock-on effect on the chakras, and their corresponding endocrine glands. When the body is lacking certain nutrients it also has a harmful effect on your mental and physical health.
Bearing this in mind, as an Empath, you have to consider that some of your social overwhelm, or excessive introversion, could be caused by nutrient deficiencies.
I know too well the importance of proper nutrition. I also know that many Empath’s diets are nutritionally imbalanced due to the cravings they get from suffering emotional overwhelm. For example, many Empaths find themselves drawn to sugary foods. Sugar not only robs the body of nutrients but also imbalances the emotions.
So, getting back to pyroluria, I came across the condition after listening to an interview with an exceptional nutritionist called Trudy Scott who found her life turned around by treating her own symptoms.
It is worth taking a moment to look at the symptoms, listed below, to see if they match with any of your own. If any of your Empath anxieties can be relieved by taking a couple of simple supplements then it is certainly worth considering.
I have included a questionnaire from Trudy’s website which may help you determine if you suffer with pyroluria:
Trudy Scott’s words: The physical and emotional symptoms below are caused by deficiencies of vitamin B6 and zinc.
When you experience high levels of stress (as Empaths do), vitamin B6 and zinc will be further depleted, so you may notice worsening symptoms and more anxiety.
Based on my review of questionnaires and results of pyroluria tests for hundreds of clients, I’ve grouped the most common or classic signs and symptoms first. I’ve also labeled the symptoms that could be directly related to low levels of vitamin B6 or zinc so you can individualize your supplements and dosages. Symptoms without these designations are due to a deficiency of both vitamin B6 and zinc. Check off any of the following signs or symptoms that apply to you:
Most Common Signs and Symptoms of Pyrolurai
- Being anxious, shy, or fearful or experiencing inner tension since childhood, but hiding these feelings from others
2. Having bouts of depression or nervous exhaustion
3. Poor dream recall, stressful or bizarre dreams, or nightmares (low vitamin B6)
4. Excessive reactions to tranquilizers, barbiturates, alcohol, or other drugs, in which a little produces a powerful response (low vitamin B6)
5. Preferring not to eat breakfast, experiencing light nausea in the morning, or being prone to motion sickness (low vitamin B6)
6. White spots or flecks on the fingernails or opaquely white or paper-thin nails (low zinc)
7. Liquid zinc sulfate having a mild taste or tasting like water (low zinc)
8. Poor appetite or having a poor sense of smell or taste (low zinc)
9. Joints popping, cracking, or aching; pain or discomfort between the shoulder blades; or cartilage problems (low zinc)
10. Pale or fair skin or being the palest in the family, or sunburning easily, now or when younger
11. Disliking protein or having ever been a vegetarian or vegan
12. Being sensitive to bright sunlight or noise
13. Upper abdominal pain on your left side under the ribs or, as a child, having a stitch in your side as you ran
14. Frequent fatigue
15. Being prone to iron anemia or low ferritin levels
16. Tending to have cold hands or feet
17. Having frequent colds or infections, or unexplained chills or fever
18. Reaching puberty later than normal or having irregular menstruation or PMS
19. Having allergies, adrenal issues, or problems with sugar metabolism
20. Having gluten sensitivity
21. Neurotransmitter imbalances, especially low serotonin
22. For women, belonging to an all-girl family or having look-alike sisters
23. For men, having a mother from an all-girl family or a mother with look-alike sisters, or all the females in the mother’s family bearing a strong resemblance to each other
24. Avoiding stress because it upsets your emotional balance
25. Tending to become dependent on one person whom you build your life around
26. Preferring the company of one or two close friends rather than a gathering of friends; becoming more of a loner as you age
27. Feeling uncomfortable with strangers
28. Being bothered by being seated in the middle of the room in a restaurant
29. Being easily upset by criticism
Less Common Signs and Symptoms
- Stretch marks or poor wound healing (low zinc)
31. Crowded upper front teeth, many cavities, or inflamed gums or wearing braces (low zinc)
32. Bad breath and body odor (or a sweet, fruity odor), especially when ill or stressed (low zinc)
33. Being prone to acne, eczema, herpes, or psoriasis
34. Reduced amount of hair on your head, eyebrows, or eyelashes, or prematurely gray hair
35. Difficultly recalling past events and people in your life
36. Focusing internally, on yourself, rather than on the external world
37. Tending to have morning constipation
38. Tingling sensations or muscle spasms in your legs or arms
39. Feeling stressed by changes in your routine, such as traveling or being in new situations
40. Your face looking swollen when you’re under a lot of stress
41. Cluster headaches or blinding headaches
42. One or more of the following: a psychiatric disorder, schizophrenia, high or low histamine, alcoholism, learning and behavioral disorders, autism, or Down syndrome
If you check off 15 or more items, especially the more common ones, it’s highly probable that you have pyroluria and will benefit from taking zinc and vitamin B6 supplements. I encourage you to be tested, but if this isn’t possible, or even if you don’t have pyroluria, supplementing with zinc and vitamin B6 may be worthwhile if you have a large number of these symptoms.
Trudy Scott (CN), Certified Nutritionist is the founder of www.everywomanover29.com, a thriving nutrition practice with a focus on food, mood and women’s health. Trudy educates women about the amazing healing powers of food and nutrients and helps them find natural solutions for anxiety and other mood problems. Trudy’s goal for all her clients (and all women): “You can be your healthiest, look your best and feel on-top-of-the-world emotionally!” –
If you think you want to discover more about how food affects you as an Empath I recommend the book: The Eating plan for Empaths and HSPs, it could just transform your life!
Until next time,
If you have found my work to be helpful please consider donating here
©Diane Kathrine at Empaths Empowered
Never Miss A Post! Join Thousands of Others on This Amazing Journey of Transformation!
Click the Follow Button on the Right Side-Bar Above⇑